Monday, June 6, 2011

I EARNED IT!

"I completed the 60 day Insanity Challenge!  This mommy of 3 loves her results!  Please send me my free Insanity t-shirt!"
Those were the words I typed in the email to Beachbody when I sent my application in with my "before and after" pictures for my free "I Earned It" Insanity t-shirt on Monday.  I had done everything they asked of me and I was proud and excited to receive my very own Insanity t-shirt!  After all, an Insanity t-shirt isn't something that everyone has.  You can't just simply buy it, you have to EARN it.  There's something about not being able to buy something out right.  Instead, you have to work hard for it.  Somehow hard work increases the value of things, and I'll be honest, that t-shirt is like gold to me.  It is my trophy!  Maybe it seems materialistic or petty because it IS just a t-shirt, but for me it was a fairly large incentive to complete the program.  I bought into the Insanity challenge from day 1.  I wanted to possess everything Insanity said it would give me for completing the 60 day program, all of which included the fitness level, the body, the speed, endurance, strength, agility, AND the free t-shirt.  I had attained and realized all of it with great success except for the free t-shirt.  I clicked "Send" on my email and waited with anticipation for a confirmation, affirmation and a pat on the back from a Beachbody representative.  I got a reply, but it wasn't exactly what I expected.  Here is the reply:




Hi Rachel,
I'm so sorry, but I'm unable to process a request for your free t-shirt because you purchased this product on ebay. The only way we can do that is if you buy through an authorized retailer, such as amazon, beachbody.com or a Beachbody coach. I do want to congratulate you on your progress though, your results are amazing!! Congratulations.
Thanks, and keep up that great work.

Alison
(Just so you know, I actually didn't buy my copy of Insanity from eBay, I bought it from a friend of mine, but that's not the point and trying to make that fact clear to Beachbody wouldn't have changed anything.  You'll see why in the following emails.)  I was broken hearted.  All the wind in my sails had been let out and I was so bummed.  What I really wanted to do was to lay down in some ashes and throw a two year old fit!  At the time that I read the reply my husband, Stephen, wasn't at home.  It's not in my nature to challenge what's written in black and white as a rule, and it never even crossed my mind to do so in this case.  My resolve was to simply accept the fact that I would not be receiving a t-shirt.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid of confrontation, but I'm not dumb enough to think that I could get Beachbody to change alter the rules for me.  Let me be very clear, my husband isn't afraid AT ALL and you will soon see what I mean!  Once he got home from running some errands I, in passing, mentioned that I got an email reply from Beachbody and they told me that I couldn't get a free t-shirt.  He asked my what their reason was and I told him.  He immediately walked over to my laptop and asked me to show him the email.  I did.  He read it, grabbed my laptop, took it to the kitchen table and started typing away.  He looked at me and said, "That's a bunch of crap.  I can't believe this.  This is business 101!"  Here is his reply to Alison, the representative (this is where you get to see how tenacious and determined Stephen is)


Alison - this is Stephen (the husband of Rachel in the message below)...I was furious to see your reply.  How short sided of a decision to not send Rachel a free shirt.  You have someone who completed your program and has been a very vocal ambassador of your product in word of mouth, blogging, facebook, etc.  As a result of Rachel's efforts you have already sold 4 new dvd kits directly from your company (this is the known sales from her word of mouth so far).  Do you not understand the power of advertising, esp. from sending someone excited about your product a free t shirt that costs 80 cents to buy from China?!?!?!?
I mean, really, has anyone in this organization ever attended a business school???  Really this is Business 101!!!!  You should pass this onto someone with decision making power in the company and I have a feeling you might be sending Rachel a free t shirt amongst other items.
As an owner of multiple businesses ourselves, Rachel and I both understand the power behind free advertising which is what this shirt represents.  Honestly at this point we could care less about this shirt but I am appalled at your message below.  You have a successful person with visible results form your program that is leading to new sales and you negate to send her a small congratulations item that will carry free advertising and promote interest from others in your product and your cost is miniscule.
Again I ask who is running marketing and sales in this organization because if this is how you treat your greatest assets you will surely lose in the long run.  Rachel has over 500 people following her Insanity Campaign now.  If you don't step up and make this right - I personally will spread this negative news of how you are treating her.  I suggest you get this message in front of someone with decision making authority in your company ASAP.  I expect an apology for this ludicrous behavior as well to Rachel.
Respectfully,
Stephen W. Magee

I felt like the email was a little on the
belligerent strong side, but I also felt so loved and protected by Stephen.  In that moment he was a my Superman and I loved him for the gesture no matter how Beachbody could/would take his defensive email.  Honestly, I didn't think we would hear back from Beachbody, but to my surprise, less that 24 hours later we got another email.  This time it was from a senior representative!!  Kuddos again to Stephen for climbing the ladder!!

Dear Stephen & Rachel,
I would like to address the letters you've written below, as well as the emails that have gone back and forth between Rachel and my Coordinator, Alison. You stated that you were "furious" over the polite response that Alison wrote to Rachel. I do understand the frustration you both are experiencing regarding the free Insanity t-shirt offer. We have read your point of view, and I respectfully request that you allow me to share my perspective.
Beachbody is on a very determined and focused road to thwart the piracy of our Beachbody products. I do realize that the economy is tough, and we all want to save money whenever we can. That being said, it is very difficult for me to even assign a value on how many dollars are lost to companies, such as Beachbody, by unscrupulous sellers who take all our hard work, copy and sell our products without a backward glance. As I sit at my desk, and look around the office at the hard working individuals, including myself, who truly pour our hearts into our work, and how the money from our hard work is stolen by these unscrupulous vendors. They dupe you, the consumer, into purchasing these goods with the promise of lower costs.  As owners of your own business, I'm sure you're sensitive to protecting your product and your business.
Stephen and Rachel, all this being said, I truly am very happy for your results and that you are a great model to those around you who admire your accomplishments. We sincerely appreciate the positive word of mouth and recommendations to purchase Insanity to your friends. I'm certain you are enjoying great health benefits from using Shakeology, which we all agree is an incredible product. I also appreciate your patience in reading my response to your letters, and I hope you are able to see our company's point of view. Because you've expressed such passion and determination, we will be sending you a t-shirt. I am placing a copy of this email into Rachel's folder for future reference.
I have one other suggestion, if I may? Since you are willing to spread the word about how wonderful Insanity is, and the fact that others have purchased the product based on your opinion, you may want to consider the Beachbody Coaching opportunity to earn money for your recommendations.
Most respectfully in good health,
Dolores Thompson
Senior Manager,
Testimonial & Success Story Production

YIPEE!!!  Music to my ears!  I would get my
trophy t-shirt after all!  I was so thankful and proud of my husband for standing up for me.  It was all very romantic.  He was like my valiant knight who had come to slay the dragon of discouragement that was coming up to devour my accomplishment.  I love and admire him for his bravery and courage.  Because Dolores was so kind and communicative in her response to Stephen he made sure to reply back in a more controlled tone and thank her and the company for doing the right thing as well as leaving a simple suggestion for the future, which is also par for his nature :)

Hello Dolores, thank you for your reply.  Your coordinator's reply was indeed polite.  It frankly just blew me away as it represented a poor business decision.  All you say below is completely understandable and regretful that we live in a world in which we have to battle piracy that abounds.  But regardless of that issue not honoring a graduate of your program with a simple token such as an inexpensive t shirt regardless of your ability to confirm the origination of the product purchased (which I assure you in this case is authentic and from your company originally) is a poor choice.
It is clear from reading Rachel's Success Story that she is excited about your product and the best advertising you can get and the t shirt is a tiny investment to further push that advertising with confirmed dollars back to your company from multiple channels.  I was actually highly interested in Rachel becoming a coach to capitalize on her following and success.  I backed off of that when I saw the response to her t shirt request.  Again I stress the t shirt really is immaterial at this point as it is the principle of the matter that burned me up.  It was a poor gesture on your company's part to a successful graduate of your program and seriously made me question the business sense and direction of your company.
Simply giving the benefit of the doubt to an excited customer with sending out a t shirt based on the results of the completed program documentation sent in should be a no brainer and in no way brings up or down the piracy volume against your company.  It only further creates more loyalty and excitement for your brand from that person and their followers.  The fact it is that consumable sells will be the gold for your company regardless (such as the Shakelogy as that will be purchased over and over and over instead of a onetime buy).
Again I thank you for your reply and would suggest you keep your written policies in place as is (for legal outs and protection in extreme situations) but empower your employees to make better judgment calls and go against the hardest interpretation of policies when you can capitalize on the upside of an excited customer with the cheap advertising that person brings to the table.  At least train your staff to ask a supervisor before turning the client down.
We will be exploring the coaching oppt. now.
Thanks Again!
Stephen W. Magee

For Stephen this situation was about principle, but I just REALLY wanted the free t-shirt!  I am so thankful and that God gave me a man that is strong in many of my weak areas.  I am proud of Stephen and the gifts and abilities that God has given him.  And I am proud to be his wife.........I'm also proud that I'M GETTING MY FREE  INSANITY T-SHIRT!!


No comments:

Post a Comment